Free English-Bemba Dictionary: A-M

english bemba dictionary cover image  500x822

english bemba dictionary cover image 500×822

Learning to speak Bemba language can be fun if you have some help. In this post we start our journey to populate an online English-Bemba Dictionary, in alphabetical order. The Bemba dictionary is not comprehensive but contains the more commonly used words.

If there are particular words you want to translate please feel free to leave a message below. If you speak Bemba and would like to participate, get in touch with us with suggestions about how you wish to participate.

Your comments and corrections are most welcome.

If you want to translate English to Bemba you can send in your word and we will do our best to include it in the Bemba dictionary. Or if you simply cannot wait until we get to the word you want to learn because it appears under the letter “Z” let us know and we will translate it for you.

Remember that we want to include all other Zambian languages here. So if you speak Lamba, Lozi, Tonga, Nyanja, Tumbuka, Chokwe, or any other Zambian language, you can start the ball rolling by sending in a few words at a time and we will add it to our database. You can translate Bemba or another language into English and vise versa.

The following table covers letters of the alphabet from A  to M

Click on a letter of the alphabet to get to the appropriate section of the English to Bemba dictionary:

A , BC, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M

N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z

(For Free English to Bemba Translation Service click here)

Coming soon: O – Z

__________________

A , BC, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M

N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z

_______________________

90 comments for “Free English-Bemba Dictionary: A-M

1. Trevor yumbe
    November 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

I want a bemba english dictionary,where can i get it thanks.

2. Terrence T
    October 31, 2013 at 8:19 am

hi js im dating a zambian lady and i would love to learn the bemba language

November 1, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Terrence,
      Please feel free to send in suggestions of any particular things you would like covered in the lessons. I am in the process of structuring a course that will be available in the new year.

3. September 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

This is great site, thank you for putting it together, I am learning Bemba and Nyanja so I will be making this my home. Thanks again from Zimbabwe.

4. Emmanuel Musenge
    September 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

what are the word interview and signature in Bemba?

5. Emmanuel Musenge
    September 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

What is the meaning of the word “form” as in a document in Bemba?

6. Emmanuel Musenge
    September 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

what is Voluntary in Bemba?

• Joseph Mwila Bwembya
      September 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Voluntary-Ukuipelesha fye. (Umulimo wakubomba fye ukwabula ukucetekela amalipilo ayene yene) nangu cakuti kuti walipilwako kanono akakukutasha pafyo wabomba.

• September 7, 2013 at 3:43 am

Voluntary- Ukuitendekela ukucita cimo ukwabula bambi ukukweba nangu ukupatikishiwa. Eg. Voluntary Counselling and Testing = Ukuitendekelako we mwine weka ukuya sambilila amano no kupimwa pa bulwele ukwabula ukulolela bambi ukukweba nangu ukukupatikisha.

7. bonnie
    August 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Hi JS,

I am dating a gentleman from Zambia & would like to learn bemba. This site has helped me out a bit.

August 17, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Bonnie,
      I am happy to hear you are finding KitweOnline useful.
      Thanks for your feedback.

8. Chanz
    August 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Hi what does Moye mean in english? Is it Maiden?

August 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Hi Chanz,
      I am not sure what “Moye” means. I hope one of our readers will come up with a suggestion.

9. Lazarous Chewe
    August 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Poison Mu Cibemba

August 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Hi Lazarous,
      “Poison” = “Cinkolwankolwa” or “Busungu”

10. Alyshia
    July 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hello,

I would like to know how to say “Do not be afraid to go where it beckons you to go” in Bemba. I was told two different translations for this a long time ago and I would just like to get a second opinion to clarify. 1 -”Mwitina ukuya uko lilemisontelala ukuya” and 2- “Mwitina ukuya uko cilemusotelela ukuya “. Are either of these translations correct? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Alyshia

July 6, 2013 at 12:20 am

Hi Alyshia,

Both versions of the interpretation can be used, depending on what the “it” refers to.

The difference is reflected in the “limusontela” and cilemusontela.”
      Different prefixes refine the reference to the subject: li…, ci…, fi…., tu….,ba….., etc.

• Alyshia
        July 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Oh, okay I understand now. In the phrase, the “it” refers to something that is drawing you in a certain direction or calling to you….maybe a feeling.

In this case, which prefix do you think would be more appropriate?

Also, is the correct spelling for both: lilemusontela and cilemusontela? I think I spelled them incorrectly in the first message.

Thank you so much for helping me with this translation. I greatly appreciate it!

July 10, 2013 at 12:26 am

Alyshia,
          Different emotions have different prefixes. Examples:
          Envy = Akaso (Wikonka uko akaso kalekusontela = Don’t follow the direction your envy is pointing you)
          Joy = Insansa (Konka uko insansa shobe shilekusontela)
          Sorrow = Ubulanda (Mona uko ubulanda bulekusontela)
          Exasperation = Icifukushi (Mona uko icifukushi chobe cilekusontela)

Other words are similarly dependent on the prefix:
          Luck = Ishuko (Mona uko ishuko lilekusontela)
          etc.

Finally, lilemusontela and cilemusontela are correct.
          Lilekusontela (singular), Lilemusontela (Plural), Cilekusontela (sing.) and Cilemusontela (pl.).

I hope this helps to clarify the explanation.

11. Mirriam Gondwe
    June 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm

What do the bemba names Mwila and Nkatya mean?

12. Alena
    May 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi,

I would like to know what means: “Ninshi mulecita?Ala cikawama nga twamonana.”

Thank you.

May 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hi Alena,
      “Ninshi mulecita?” is “What are you doing?” – (plural/respectful)
      “Ala cikawama” = “It will be good/nice”
      “Nga twamonana” = “When/if we meet.”

13. Sara
    April 5, 2013 at 4:39 am

How do you say Thank you for being a friend, for listening, and for your advice. Your a good friend to me.
    In Bemba

April 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Sara,
      You can say
      “Thank you for being a friend” = “Ndetasha wecibusa candi”
      “for listening” = “Ulamposako amano ngandeshimikaka ilyashi”
      “and for your advice” = “No kumpandako amano”
      “You are a good friend to me” = “Uli cibusa wacine”

14. andrew
    February 24, 2013 at 4:30 am

I lived in Mporokoso for 1 year and the young men in the market would compliment my work partner on her upper leg of thighs. They were being playful with her at the time but I’ve completely forgotten the term they used. What might that word have been?

March 11, 2013 at 2:50 am

Could the word be “Legi“? Pronounced “Leggy”

15. Chawe
    February 7, 2013 at 7:53 am

i would like to find the proper bemba transalation for the traditional barter system based on exchange commodities based what i have is called Amakau ( things to barter) also what is correct bemba translation for Gifts of the heart or passion ( one’s natural passion)

16. Alena Křivánková
    January 6, 2013 at 6:30 am

Good morning.
    Could you please translate these sentences for me?
    “Konse uko,naba kusha ulweko iwe”
    “ba lusaka ta bonfwa bale fwaya na ma sisters babo”
    “Eku mwabo? ule konka naiwe boi”

And is there any possibility to get full version of online dictionary?

Thank you very much. A.K.

January 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

Hi Alena,
      “Konse uko” sounds like a question in this context, meaning “All that?”
      “Nabakusha ulweko iwe” = “You have been left high and dry” (Abandoned)
      “Ba Lusaka tabonfwa” = People from Lusaka (or a person called Lusaka)are naughty.
      “Balefwaya nama sisters babo” = “They are even hitting on their own sisters”
      “Eku mwabo?” = “Is that his/her home?”
      “Ule konka naiwe boi” = Depending on the emphasis on “Ule”, this can mean “You should follow him/her, my friend” or it can mean “You have to follow him/her, my friend”.

You can get the Full English-Bemba Dictionary on Smashwords: http://bit.ly/KOL_Dictionary

17. Madeleine
    December 3, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi

I posted this question in reply to a reply, but did not get an answer. Maybe this will work…?

Thanks for the previous translations! You’re a great help. I still have some words I am not sure about when I consult the dictionary:

free, the adj. (as in I am free)
    flow, the noun (as in a flow)
    live, the verbe (as in I live)
    And:
    Is mumana (stream) the noun or the verbe? I am interested in the verbe.
    Is shibula (awake) the adj. or the verbe? I am interested in the adj.?
    Is pindulula (change) the noun or the verbe? I am interested in the noun.

Thanks again,
    Madeleine

December 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hi Madeleine,

Sorry, your query slipped in under the radar.

Free (adj) = Lubuka
      “I am free” = “Nalilubuka”

Flow (noun) = Mulonga (singular), Milonga (plural)

Live (verb) = Ikala
      “I live in Kitwe” = Njikala mu Kitwe
      “We live in Kitwe” = Twikala mu Kitwe
      He / She lives in Kitwe = Ekala mu Kitwe
      They live in Kitwe = Bekala mu Kitwe

Stream (noun) = Mumana
      Stream (verb) / Current = Mulonga

Shibusha (verb) = Waken
      Shibuka (adjective) = Awake

Pindulula (verb) = Change something
      Pinduluka (noun) = Undergo change

18. Minnie
    December 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi

How do you say “My roots” in bemba? Or in other zambian languages?

December 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Hi Minnie,
      “My roots” mu ciBemba is “Mishila yandi”

19. Madeleine
    November 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Hi

What is the Bemba translation for:
    conscious living
    true self
    now
    everything flows

Thanks,
    Madeleine

November 29, 2012 at 1:30 am

Hi Mdeleine,
      “Conscious living” = “Ubwikalo bwa maano”
      “(My) true self” = “Ine wine”
      “(Your) true self” = “Iwe wine”
      “Now” = “Nomba”
      “Nowadays” = “Shino nshiku”, “Muno nshiku”
      “Everything flows” = “Fyonse filapita”

• Madeleine
        November 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi

free, the adj. (as in I am free)
        flow, the noun (as in a flow)
        live, the verbe (as in I live)
        And:
        Is mumana (stream) the noun or the verbe? I am interested in the verbe.
        Is shibula (awake) the adj. or the verbe? I am interested in the adj.?
        Is pindulula (change) the noun or the verbe? I am interested in the noun.

Thanks again,
        Madeleine

20. November 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I want 2 get that bemba dictionary.

November 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hi Trevor,
      Thanks for your interest in the dictionary. You are the lucky winner of a free copy for November. When I tried to send it to you on the email address you provided, it was not possible. Please send me the correct address and I will mail your FREE copy.

21. Chola
    November 15, 2012 at 7:31 am

what is a better translation of the following Words..
    1. interviews
    2. programme

22. BEST
    November 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

could you please give the words for the ff: I , MY, MINE,IS, Pls use the in sentences like JOHN IS MY LOVE, JOHN MY LOVE, JOHN MY EVERLASTING

23. Langa
    October 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

How can I say I am feeling jealousy on Bemba

October 31, 2012 at 9:20 am

Hi Langa,
      “I am feeling jealous” is “Naumfwa kaso”
      “Akaso” means jealousy/jealous

24. Simon
    August 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm

What do the words of this song mean?

Bana baka ntwa maela nkalala pi mamilambo
    mumilambo bana baka ntwa maela (not sure about the spelling)
    Any help would be wonderful :)

September 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hi Simon,
      We have asked around but could not get an answer for you. We have no idea what it means.
      We’ll keep looking.
      If one of our readers has some idea, perhaps they will tell us what the song means.

25. julian
    August 1, 2012 at 3:14 am

how do you say
    Listening To The Great Teacher?
    i appreciate all of your assistance

August 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Julian,
      “Listening to the Great Teacher” = “Ukukutika kuli Kafundisha Mukalamba.”

The translation depends on who is involved as well as the tense. Here are a few examples:

“I am listening to the Great Teacher” = “Ndekutika kuli Kafundisha Mukalamba”
      “I was listening to the Great Teacher” = “Nalekutika kuli Kafundisha Mukalamba”
      “He/She is listening to the Great Teacher” = “Alekutika kuli Kafundisha Mukalamba” (singular), “Balekutika kuli Kafundisha Mukalamba” (plural)

26. Andrea
    July 27, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thanks for this dictionary, I have been begging my husband to teach me but he is too busy now I can self study and practice on him :)

July 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hi Andrea,
      Thanks for dropping by. We look forward to your active participation in the lessons.
      Send in your short phrases and sentences. We will do our best to translate them.
      You can also send suggestions about what lessons you would like to see.

27. Chileshe J K
    July 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

I must say this is a very commendable job you are doing. Kindly help me translate the word "purpose" in Bemba.

July 7, 2012 at 12:44 am

Hi Chileshe,
      Thanks for your comments.
      “Purpose” can generally be translated as “Umulandu.”
      This is a word that can be used in different ways. It is easier to determine if it’s the best word when used in a particular sentence.

28. Alice
    June 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

You've done an admirable job typing up all these translations. But don't you think you should acknowledge what I assume is the original source? You seem to follow Rev Hock's dictionary very closely.

June 21, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Alice,
      Thanks for your comment.
      Rev. Hock’s dictionary along with The White Fathers’ Bemba-English dictionary are the two long standing works in this field. We have acknowledged Rev. Hock’s dictionary in the ebook version of our dictionary.
      Our emphasis is on the commonly spoken version of Bemba on the Copperbelt and along the line of rail in Zambia. This is heavily influenced by other languages (Lamba, Ushi, English, e.t.c.). Technological terms provide another challenge that we have only begun to address.

29. Peter
    May 21, 2012 at 3:14 am

Hi

thanks for your efforts!

surely soon i will go to live to Zambia,at least for a huge amount of time,so please,can you translate me that into bemba?
    ''i miss you my sister,i really want to meet you''

thanks in advance

p.s.just one more question,why i can only scroll to 'medicine',and not more words in the 'm'?

November 5, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hello Peter,
      ”I miss you my sister,I really want to meet you” = “Ndekufuluka we nkashi yandi, Ndefwaisha ukukumona.”

30. Megan
    May 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

I would like to know what the Bemba word is for 'enough' or 'sufficient'. For example, 'God's grace is sufficient/enough'. Thank you!!!

May 8, 2012 at 1:01 am

Enough = Linga, Fula
      God’s grace is sufficient” = “Uluse lwakwa Lesa lwaliba ulwalinga.”

31. March 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

we need to lean more about your culture

March 3, 2012 at 1:17 am

Dr Ntumba,
      Thanks for your suggestion.
      You will be pleased to note our latest article is on Zambian marriage ceremonies.
      We hope to cover much more Zambian culture in future.

32. February 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

this is quite a good site, helpful as well. I was wondering where can I get a hard copy of the English Bemba dictionary. you can e-mail me the info or post it on my web page.

March 3, 2012 at 1:57 am

Hi Kudah,
      Thanks for your appreciation of KitweOnline.
      The KitweOnline Dictionary will soon be available in print.
      You can also get a dictionary from Amazon.

33. nito
    February 9, 2012 at 6:59 am

Hi,
     How do I say "happy birthday" to a friend in bemba?
    thanks

February 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

“Happy Birthday” = “Sefyeni ubushiku mwafyelwe” (Plural)
      = “Sefya ubushiku wafyelwe” (Singular)

34. Fi Silverman
    October 13, 2011 at 1:02 am

How do you say (to someone you have just met/polite)…
    -please help us
    -come
    -he is your husband
    -he is not my husband
    -he is sick
    -eat now
    -sleep now
    -my house
    -my family
    -he will help you
    -God bless you
    (can you email me back with the answers?)

November 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Come = Isa (singular), Iseni (plural)
      Follow me = Nkonka (s), Nkonkeni (p)
      He is your husband = Mûlume obe (s), Bâlume benu (p)
      He is not my husband = Temulume wandi (s), Tebalume bandi (p)
      He is sick = Mûlwele (s), Bâlwele (p)
      Eat now = Lya nombaline (s), Lyeni nombaline (p)
      Sleep now = Sendama nombaline (s), Sendameni nombaline (p)
      My house = Iɧanda yandi
      My family = Ulupwa lwandi
      He will help you = Alâmwafwilisha (s), Balâmwafwilisha (p)
      Thank you = Natôtela (s), Twatôtela (p)
      God bless you = Lesa akupâle (s), Lesa amupâle (p)

35. Me.
    August 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hello, can u translate:
    Hello brother, I started to study a little Bemba but just want to say that I miss u and all my brothers. Please say a little prayer for my daddy that is in the hospital had a minor surgery but hasn’t got out. Take care n lots of love

August 21, 2011 at 1:19 am

“Hello brother, I started to study a little Bemba but just want to say that I miss you and all my brothers” = “We ndume, ndesambilila icibemba lelo ndefwaya fye ukukwishibisha ukuti ndekufuluka, pamo naba munyina bonse.”

“Please say a little prayer for my daddy that is in the hospital had a minor surgery but hasn’t got out. Take care and lots of love.” = “Ndekulomba ulempepelako ba tata abacili mucipatala umo baile babombela, tabalati bafume. Wikale uwaicingilila we citemwikwa.”

36. amanda
    August 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm

kafwako in english please (SPOKEN FROM A MAN TO A WOMAN)

and how do u say I MISS YOU in bemba

thanks

August 17, 2011 at 11:54 pm

We find it difficult to figure out “Kafwako” when taken out of context.

“I miss you” = “Ndekufuluka” (singular), “Ndemufuluka” (plural).

37. GS
    August 6, 2011 at 3:01 am

Please translate this for me into bemba:

I long to have you by my side always

To feel the warmth of your touch and embrace

I hope to see you soon because I really miss you.

August 6, 2011 at 4:31 am

“I long to have you by my side always” = “Nkabila ukuba mupepi naiwe lyonse”
      “To feel the warmth of your touch and embrace” = “Ukumfwa icikabilila chobe ilyo wankumya noku nkumbatila”
      “I hope to see you soon because I really miss you” = “Nde tetekela nkakumona panshita inono pantu ndekufuluka sana.”

38. Dylan
    July 26, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hello

Im struggling to access the online English to Bemba dictionary, would it be possible to translate the following into Bemba for me please:

“Just look around you” / “Just look around”

Thanks
    _______________

“Just look around” = “Mona” (“Moneni” – plural)

(Editor)

39. Editor
    July 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi Colletta,

There are certainly some terms for which there is no direct translation into Bemba. The context may help to circumnavigate this difficulty.

If the request is in form of a complete sentence, it is much easier to work on a helpful translation.

Send us your piece and we will give you a feedback on what we can do with it. If you don’t mind posting it here, let us know and we can post it so that other readers can help translate it.

40. colletta chandika
    July 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I enjoyed you web page. Dilema I have is that a Nigerian friend has asked me to translate for him a document from Bemba to English as part of his assignment programme.

I’m stuck as there are words like attrition and retention, participant, sustainability.

41. Tumie
    June 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

What is good night my love in Bemba.Help me to also help myself how do i access a complete dictionary so i dont always have to log on for translations

November 5, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hi Tumie,
      “Goodnight my love” = “Sendamo mutende wecitemwikwa candi.”

You can click on the image of the dictionary above in order to access a sample of the complete dictionary. You can also purchase the complete dictionary on Smashwords.com

42. elle
    May 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

nalikutemwa mami wandi

May 17, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Nalikutemwa mami wandi = I love you, my lady( / my girl).

43. David Kitching
    May 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hi

Many thanks for this excellent dictionary. I have a stupid question though..what are the words in the third and fourth columns? Thanks.

May 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

Thanks for your kind comments. We believe there is no such thing as stupid questions – only stupid answers.
      The words in the second and third columns are alternative words that mean the same thing.
      When we get round to the Bemba-English dictionary, for instance, it will show:
      SHITA (Bemba word) with BUY (2nd column) and PURCHASE (3rd column)

44. Ron Cross - the 'General'
    April 21, 2011 at 11:13 am

A very big thank you to those that have put in the hard work.
    I look forward to seeing the G-Z section completed.
    I passed through Kitwe and must compliment you on a lovely city.

November 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Hi Ron,
      Thank you for your encouraging comments.
      We love Kitwe.

45. Brent
    April 8, 2011 at 2:26 am

For some reason, I can only scroll down to the term 'Dysentery' How do I access the rest of the dictionary?

April 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Hi, Thanks for your enquiry. The dictionary is being added to on a weekly basis. This week we will be adding the words starting with the letter “E”. The slow progress has been due to a shortage of man/woman power. We’ll get to “Z” soon.

November 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You can now get the complete dictionary on Smashwords.com by clicking on the image of the dictionary above.

46. Melissa
    April 1, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hello,
    some years ago I´ve lived in Zambia and I´ve learned a bit Bemba, but never how to write it. I am searching for the Bemba translation of "we" and "us". I know the word but not the correct spelling.
    I would be so thankful if you could help me.
    Greetings Melissa

April 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Hi Melissa,
      “We” and “us” are personal pronouns that overlap in Bemba.

We = Ifwe (pronounced “if” + “way”: ifway) / Tu (pronounced “too”)
      Us = Ifwe / tu

Examples:
      We are coming tonight = “Tuleisa mu cungulo (early night)” or “Tuleisa ubushiku.” (late night)
      We have come = “Twaisa” or “Tuleisa”
      We want = “Tulefwaya”
      We can do this = “Kuti twacita ici”
      We are going (to a place) = “Tuleya”
      We will go = “Tukaya”
      We are going to (do) = “Tuka….”

Among us = “Muli ifwe”
      Give us = “Tupeni”
      Belongs to us = “Yesu”
      It is us = “Nifwe” (pronounced “knee”+”foo” + “way”)
      It is not us =”Tefwe”

These are only some examples we hope will be useful. If you have specific phrases in mind, please let us know.

P/S Are you the Melissa who has posted those nice Youtube videos of Kitwe?